Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Things I learnt today - 1

Every day we learn, may be every moment we are awake we are learning something new. This happens without us really knowing. I used to learn a lot when I was teaching my kids. But sometimes we do know, especially when I start thinking that it is time I start paying Wikipedia, I know. But not all of them are from Wikipedia indeed.

Learning 1- Size of excel sheet:- The file I use for tracking some milestones and action points for one of my projects suddenly became 5.5MB from 42KB after one update. When I open that file it takes a few seconds to open and it saves also very slowly. I scratched my head for 2 days and asked a few people, but couldn't find the reason or a solution. I have not added any macros, neither any images. Then I started playing around with it and tried going to the end of each sheet using Ctrl-END. In one sheet the cursor ended in row 1048565 where as it should have reached only the 25th row. Ha! I would have formatted the sheet by selecting the entire sheet somehow and managed to make the excel think that there is data till that row. Anyway I copy pasted the 25 rows into a new sheet, deleted the old one and saved. Tada! Size of excel changed from 5.5 MB to 49KB.

Learning 2- Difference between moths and butterflies:- I have the picture of a butterfly, or so I thought, sitting on my curtain inside my house. I sent it to my butterfly group for identification as I wanted to put it in my butterfly post (coming soon) I was preparing. Rahul replied telling it is an owl moth and not a butterfly. Huh! I had thought that moths were hairy and doesn't look as good as butterflies. But no, this moth looks pretty. There comes Wikipedia for help, there is indeed a page on the difference between butterflies and moths. The first and foremost is the way in which their feelers are made. Butterflies have a club at the end of their feelers and moths don't. There are many more differences listed, but I was pretty happy with this one.
Owl Moth
Learning 3- There are toilet gods:- I just don't want to tell anything more in this one. But there are, I swear.

No comments :

Post a Comment