Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Oh, all these connections!

I finished my 11-day trip to Goa yesterday and together with that finished reading "A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson. There is nothing much to do in Goa, no, not much for 11 days, other than to go jump in the sea and romp around (I still have sea water in my ears )and eat. Eat, we did, fish and then fish and then more fish and some bebinca and then some serradura (more on these later). In between the romping and the eating, managed to visit a bird sanctuary, an archaeological museum, a cathedral and a church. But still 11 days is too much and though I have started reading the said book a few days before we started our journey, I just didn't reach beyond the first few pages. So it was "the" book for the trip.
The book is an awesome book and I really loved the author's style of writing. but the para that touched me the most is the following. I read and re-read the para as I was stunned by the multi layered reasons for various things which I have never connected up earlier. So here goes:

"Bipedalism is a demanding and risky strategy. It means refashioning the pelvis into a full load-bearing instrument. To preserve the required strength, the birth canal in the female must be comparatively narrow. This has two very significant immediate consequences and one longer-term one. First, it means a lot of pain for any birthing mother and a greatly increased danger of fatality to mother and baby both. Moreover, to get the baby's head through such a tight space it must be born while its brain is still small - and while the baby, therefore, is still helpless. This means long-term infant care, which in turn implies solid male-female bonding."

Now, reflect on this.

p.s: Bipedalism means moving around on 2 legs like human beings than on four like most other animals.

4 comments :

  1. I read that book couple of years back (borrowed from Raghav) .. a very comprehensive book covering vast subjects.

    As you said there, rather than giving mundane facts he has build his book on cause and effects and reasoning..

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a few more books from Bill Bryson. Let me know if you have read any other. Thinking of checking them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Suppu, I've read 'em all and thoroughly enjoyed all of them. If you ask me to choose one, I'd go for the "In a Sunburned Country" (http://www.amazon.com/Sunburned-Country-Bill-Bryson/dp/0767903862/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1321213406&sr=1-1).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amit, Thanks. I have ordered it :)

    ReplyDelete