Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Serradura

I am really scared when it comes to cooking. Once I have decided to cook/bake something, I will keep reading, re-reading the recipe. Find alternate recipes, check them also and do a lot of stalling before I actually set out to do it. This prepping-me-up time could be any where from 1 month up. I have a list of things which I want to cook stuck up on my fridge. This includes marshmallows, pav bhaji, cupcakes, .... I made this list 2 months back and the only thing I have tried in this list is cupcakes. I baked my first batch of cupcakes a month back and took them to office to my colleagues. After that day, I have colleagues who tell me they won't come to my meetings if I don't bring something baked and others who just give me ultimatums and specify what they want baked and brought. But I just keep waiting, may be because the doubt on the outcome is what is so scary for me.
I liked Serradura, which the very friendly waiter made me taste in Goa. I liked it so much that I came back the next day for lunch again and sprinted through the main course so I could reach Serradura. So when I was back in Bangalore I searched for the recipe and kept reading and re-reading. But it was surprising that I did it within one week of getting back. 
Serradura or Macau sawdust pudding is a no cook dessert, very rich, with just cream, condensed milk and crushed biscuits in it. Very simple. The recipe is available here.   
But the consistency of the cream is important (now I know :) ). This was the first time I was beating cream to get it into soft peaks and then hard peaks. I kept beating and checking for the peaks, they just never came. Then when I realised that the cream is turning to butter I stopped, added the condensed milk and set them into cappuccino cups layered with the crushed biscuits. In the Serradura which I ate in Goa there was just a small layer, rather a sprinkling of biscuit on top alone. But the recipes I read call for a more generous layering. So I layered rather generous amounts.
Here comes the reason of my being scared, fear of failure. The dessert turned out nothing like I had eaten in Goa. But on its own, it was still ok, if I scoop out the creamy concoction without too much of the saw dust. The friends on whom I have experimented had not eaten it earlier, so they couldn't complain. But I have learned from the experience is that, if you are scared of something, just go ahead and do it. I follow this when I need to do something in front of an audience, just go do it and sit back and watch the fun, especially when there are others to follow. But this holds good when it comes to cooking also. So what was I scared about; some wasted ingredients and some bad comments. Nah, strike off the first one, it is just the second. So from now on, it is "Just do it".

4 comments :

  1. OK, mail me some of your Serradura...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swagata, I have to do a lot of mailing for you someday ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a lousy lousy cook! I fancy baking, but I gave up after a rather sad disaster I had with cookies. I stick to Indian recipes and Paronthas :D The punjaban in me is happy with that...

    I appreciate food blogs, reason being, you guys put in so much of effort...A friend of mine runs a baking blog, if interests you let me know and I will share the link...don't wish to spam here :)

    I like cheese cake, this sounded like ulta cheese cake to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chintan. I figured out that I am a good cook this year, at the age of 37 :) But having established that I don't cook, life is easier, as nobody expects me to cook. So I can cook only when I want to.
    I love baking blogs, please share your friend's.

    ReplyDelete