Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Things I can change and things I cannot -1

A few of my friends have expressed concern over my last post. For 3 days continuously when I couldn't sleep at night, the third day I got up and just penned down what was coming into my mind. It didn't help my sleep, but it is making me write this post. This is my attempt to apply the serenity prayer to my life; mainly to my teaching and things which surround that.

God, grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

I think I have been having trouble in the last sentence or may be at times I try too hard and take my failures to heart before I realise that it was a line 2 and not a line 3.

There are many things being done by Zilla Parishad in Maharashtra to change the education system, most probably as a run in to the implementation of RTE. One major thing is the way in which student learning is being assessed [moolyamapan (: ]. Instead of just having 4 unit tests and 2 semester exams, they have put in place formative assessments, which assess the students' daily learning. The summative assessments, which are given lesser importance, replaces the unit and semester tests. The students are supposed to be evaluated in 5 different ways (orals, written, projects, homework, class work, group discussions etc). This is supposed to reduce the pressure on the students and also is recognising the fact that different students perform differently in different tests and making them all just write, is not really going to show their real mastery.
Now when it comes to implementation, the whole point is lost. In my school now the last week of the month, no teachers are in classrooms. All of them are preparing their formative assessment reports. The students and left to do what they please in their classrooms wasting precious time (their favourite past time being shouting and howling, especially the seniors). I first explained to the senior teacher who is responsible for getting the records in, the actual idea behind these changes. I also told her that it is not about just making these reports, but it is about observing and testing the students in such a way that the results can be put to use in improving the teaching process. She responded by telling me that the Zilla Parishad people are only going to check the records and they are not going to come and observe the classrooms.
The next day when she reminded me that I need to make separate sheets for each student and one sheet for all, I asked her whether we can keep the work lesser. Since she thought I was worried about my spending too much time in doing that, she told me to just use my class time to do that. I told I am not bothered about the time I spend, as I need to prepare the sheets for only 13 students and it is not going to take much time and I will do that at home. By this time I was pleading with her and I told her that I am only worried about the other teachers spending their class time. By the time she left my class I was in tears and she just couldn't understand why I was crying in front of my kids for a silly matter like that.

This was a thing which I wanted to change, thought I could, but failed miserably.

4 comments :

  1. Ohhh.. you can feel bad but don't show that to those who don't care about it. Do what you want to in the way you want to.. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Rajat, I was just desperate.
    Today I realised how futile it would have been even if they reduced that work so that the teachers could teach. My kids were crying to me today that they are just given the questions and answers for Social Studies and the teacher doesn't explain anything. So what's the use even if the teachers are in class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its sad that the students are given questions and answers.....the only objective of the teachers and some parents as well is to score good marks in the exams.....and the students are also being made to believe the same.....i can imagine how helpless u would be feeling.....i think if people do not understand the point you are trying to make, it has to come as a rule.....if the head of the school is ready to agree with you, then maybe we can see some changes....i guess it also heavily depends on the way these teachers are being made....this whole new thought of reforms in education should be part of the syllabus for them (I don't know if it already is)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rashmi,
    It is indeed sad as my kids' vocabulary is pathetic. If they are not explained what the meaning is they cannot even learn these questions and answers. Now that the parents have also started complaining to me I am wondering what to do. I am thinking of talking to the principal and investing her into the cause.

    ReplyDelete