Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wattle basket vs hat

I have decided to write more on the daily high I get while teaching my kids.
So today I distributed the question paper to the students for their English exam, in which I have asked them to write a story about this picture.

Since they understood that it is a basket, they started looking at each other for ideas. I heard puppies, cat, snake and also komdi ke pille, which I thought must be chicks. I had to let it pass that a rule is broken by someone speaking in Marathi, since I more urgently wanted the exchange of ideas to stop. They were supposed to write on their own, so I took care of stopping them from talking. Most of them were on task when my special kid put her hands up. I went to her and she asked me, "But didi, this can also be a hat". I was happily surprised at this and I took one more look at the picture, as it had not occurred to me, and told her, "Of course, it can also be a hat. Now you have a choice. You can write about a basket or about a hat. Take your pick".

3 comments :

  1. She really has a different perspective altogether and may be a bright one.. Nice post

    please guide me what you did about training this 'special kid' to bring her to 4 standard level..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, She has not really reached 4th std level yet. But she has improved from reading 1 word per minute to 40 words, writing story at 2nd std level...
    What it took was a lot of individual time; sight word sheets which I made her read everyday, hundreds of sums, giving scenarios for imagining and writing stories, lot of books with repetitive words and phrases to read and to listen to ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks.. probably that might help my case too

    ReplyDelete