Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

My first house visit - roll no 12


His butterfly!

There are various reasons why I selected his house as my first house visit. He is one of the 3 kids in my class who has ADD. I needed to find ways in which I can harness his energy and divert it towards his studies. Finding his background should give me some clue. His house is the closest to my school. He stays back after class for extra classes and I can walk down to his house with him.


I reached his house with him and waited for half an hour. His parents didnt turn up. I used the time to observe his house and talk to him and his younger sister. I left. Next day he came and told me that his mom was stuck up at the police station (she is a police constable at a shelter) and has told sorry, sorry, sorry and asked me to give my number so that she can call me. After the class was over his sister, who has taken an extra liking for me and is always at my duppatta end when I am taking my extra classes, also came to me and said, "momma thaid thorry, thorry, thorry".



The house is a 2 room house, one bedroom and a kitchen and then a bathroom. After the bed, a table with a TV on top and an almirah, there is just enough space to walk through. Everything is at its place and neat and clean. The kitchen is enough for one person to stand and do things.



The mom sat down with me while the dad went into the kitchen to make tea. I found the parents to be extremely informal and open. They think the kid has been retained in 4th standard since the dad has gone and fought with the administration for sending a note stuck to the kids shirt to remit the fees which was due, though they both told that the kid is weak. I told them that their kid is not weak and is the topper in class for Maths (though he still writes one hundred and one as 1001). He is also the best artist in my class. They beamed hearing this and then told me that dad has even now kept the progress card from his KG in which he has first rank in class. They agreed not to tell that he is weak anymore.



The best thing the mom told me was that, she doesn't have to go behind him every day evening asking him to study like she has done last year. This year he has started studying on his own and she will not have to ask him at all. He keeps telling her what his didi (thats me) has said in class, done in class, what games we have played in class. During the conversation how my being his class teacher is really helping him, dad told mom about me, the best thing is that she is a christian. Ohhh! he has asked me when we have met during the parent teacher meeting whether I am a south Indian and I have replied in the affirmative. So after a moments thought I corrected them and asked them that how does it matter if I am not a christian. Dad told me that it would have been even better if I were a christian. I was amused and I laughed. Now I am sure I am not overdoing it when I keep telling my kids that all people are equal, be it muslim, hindu, christian or parsi. But I do not know what is the impact on the kids when they get completely opposite messages from 2 quarters.


The hospitality was unbearable and embarassing. I wished at times that they were not this open with me. First tea (with a little extra sugar for my taste), then some namkeen (snacks), then baked peanuts in shell, after an hour again tea (sweeeet - in Pune tea is almost always sugar syrup for me). Every sentence they spoke was followed by an instruction for me to eat or drink. They were pretty upset that I refused to eat a meal with them. They have indicated that they will make biriyani (dad makes great biriyani) and call me. But for that they have to wait for her June salary to come (dad doesn't work, he has retired from army). I agreed that I will indeed join them for biriyani one day. The most embarassing moment was when mom forced me to wear her gold necklace which dad has bought for her few weeks back for their wedding anniversary. I wanted to run away.



I came out with the realisation that there is nothing much the parents can do for me. They are pretty free with their children and are supportive. They agreed that they will not tell that their kid is weak. They cannot help him with English. But they will insist that the kids talk to each other in English so that they can improve. They talk to the kids everyday on what has happened in school and thats something which is very important to me. I and the kid had a pact in his house that he will get a star next day (I will talk about my star chart soon). I think if there is one impact of my visit to his house, I saw that next day when he cried in class when I took away the green dot from his name which would have given him a star that day.

7 comments :

  1. Amazing, Subhadra, what an experience you are having! Beats everything in life!
    It just so helps to know the student's home situation.
    In what language do you talk to the parents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swagata, knowing their home situation really helps me a lot to cater to each kid individually. Also some behaviour patterns could be coming from how their parents behave to them. I talk to them in Hindi. I am still not 100% comfortable in talking in Hindi, then when I know I might have made a mistake, I make fun of myself and then they are also not hesitant in laughing at my Hindi or correcting me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Subhadra I was just wondering how you would feel when you have to leave them after 2 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shamu, Please dont talk about those things currently. I feel elated when they run to come near me and touch me in the morning. I am actually getting attached to them and they to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you think that by repeating the class he has an advantage in this year (or for that matter anyone repeating the class)? How do 4th graders react to a repeater amongst them?
    Also, do you have results / feedback from the last year's performance or teacher who taught this boy, to corroborate what the father claims? (it could be school as well).

    ReplyDelete
  6. First house visit and you have a good contact - a police constable!
    Coming from Army background, was the father in uniform or as a civilian in the Army? (Why want to know that is that, whether this kid had experience of staying / studying in a army camp area)
    This is something just a bit personal to me. There is a tremendous peer pressure in that atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rahul, The kid seems to be learning everything new this year also. But we need to consider the fact that the whole syllabus has changed for 4th standard, so practically everything is new. In my 13 kids, I have 4 who are repeating, so the non repeaters just dont bother that the repeaters are repeaters.
    The day the school opened, the previous class teacher came to my class and slapped (though not very seriously) one of my repeaters and told him to study this year atleast. So I never went to her to check on the kids.
    The kid doesnt have any experience with army camp area.

    ReplyDelete