Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Monday, August 24, 2009

Cruel Life?

The more and more I get into the details of my kids' lives, I realise how protected and pampered a life I am living. Remember my roll no. 12, whose house was a perfectly serene environment and I was still having trouble with his behaviour in class. Even behind that there are stories, which make me wonder whether his behavioural issues are connected to that. When I finished filling in his application for the scholarship exam and was handing it over to my school administrator, she asked what has he told me his father's name is. I read it out from the paper and she passed me the white ink to correct it to the one in the records. Of course I should have noticed that the name he gave me and his second name are different. She not being the gossipy type, just informed me matter of fact that his actual parents are divorced and his mom lives with the father I have met. Now this is not an extremely bad thing to happen, but I just hope that his issues are not springing from his mom's issues with his father which resulted in the divorce and what ever has happened later. He was sent back home this week for not paying the fees till now. I was happy to see the fees receipt in his hand and him back in my class. He is the one only one kid in my class who will sit and finish the math problem he was struggling with, sometimes taking additional help from me, before he opens his tiffin box during recess.


When visiting another student, I was pretty disturbed by what I saw on her foot. The left foot was disfigured with bones climbing on each other and the skin discoloured. Later while her mother was talking to me, she showed me the students snap when she was 4years old. Then the mother told me that the kid has gone under a truck a few days after that snap was taken, The leg was badly mutilated. She is still undergoing, at the age of 9, corrective surgeries and skin grafting. Her mother requested me to stop the school supervisor from harassing the kid for not wearing white shoes on PT day. She cannot wear the slim white shoes as her left foot doesn't fit in into it, or she will have to buy 2 pairs with one size bigger for the left foot.


The mother also showed me her son in the snap who was one year younger to my student, who fell from the staircase and died. I remembered thinking that the stairs were really steep while climbing them. Now she has a younger brother who is 1.5years old.


She attributed my student being behind in her studies to all these tragedies in her life. Then I told her that she should never think that her daughter is behind in her studies in anyway. She is the game master in my class and I have this poster on my wall, in which her name is permanently there. Though at the beginning of the year she could read only 7 words per minute, she is making 4 letter and 5 letter words out of bigger words like a pro in our games. She is one of those who have shown major improvement after getting individual attention. She has a black board painted on the wall of her one room house and 'mederma' written on it. She has told me that she has seen it on TV and that's what she will be using.


After one week in class I realised that a student who is repeating 4th standard is an above average student. During the parent-teacher meeting, I mentioned this to his mother. She told me that her husband passed away last year and she has a lot of trouble with her in-laws and they were shifting around a lot of places last year. This has actually affected the kids' studies. After a few seconds of silence she added that her husband has committed suicide and he has burnt himself in front of the kids.

6 comments :

  1. Yeah, Subhadra, life is cheap in India. Specially for the poor people. And to think half the country's population are at this level. Since I had children, and have been so involved in bringing them up myself, I have realized that if a child behaves badly, it has something to do with the adults in their lives.
    Once in Rohan's class recently, a child consistently behaved badly and would irritate everyone (including Rohan). Rohan told me one teacher would get really irritated with him and would slap him in the back. I called up the supervisor and reported the incident to her. She was surprised that I called about not MY child, but someone else's whom I do not even know. I told them that you do not know what is going on in his house, probably the parents are not attentive to him, you cannot just accuse a child like that.
    The children of the poor are exposed to so many health hazards every day of their lives, their deveopment hampered by poor sanitary conditions and poor nutrition. On top of that, unstable family life, drunken fathers, submissive mothers don't make it any easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, you said it correct. The problems in the low income families are mulitplied by illiteracy to start with. My problem is that I see all this and want to change things. It is a dangerous thing to even try. So I am trying hard to differentiate between things I can and can't change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE are a privileged lot, aren't we!! you guys are doing some great inspirational work at TFI...keep up the good work !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya Priyanka, and it actually is difficult to see both the sides of life at the same time.
    Thanks....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing a great job Subhadra..!
    This is the time where a kid should make some good memories for themselves for future.
    There will be some bad examples for them everywhere to learn from but the point is that you are setting some very good examples in the class for them, which they will be eager to take it from you than at home.

    ReplyDelete