Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Friday, June 1, 2018

Birding in Himalayas: Part 7

Arunachal Pradesh-2
By now starting out for birding at 5 am had become a habit. Unlike a lot of other groups I have traveled with for various reasons, this was one group which was always on time to start. Usually birders are on time, but we were all much too much on time. I think I was a little upset that I couldn't complain about people not being on time. We drove to Mandala and stopped en route at various places to spot and photograph the birds. 


Striated bulbul, possibly posing for us.


Omkar going "there there", we going "where where" Pic credit: S

Through the day we walked and walked, up and down Mandala road for birds. The only other vehicles were army vehicles or trucks, very rarely cars with some locals, and 3-4 times other birders. Almost all those birders were from Bangalore and we figured out that if you find someone carrying a 600mm prime lens, the chances that the person is from Bangalore is some where near 100%. 

Walking up and down Mandala Road. Pic credit:S

All of us took a fancy to a skin shedding Birch bark cherry tree. People were telling that these skins were used for writing scriptures in olden times. I wonder what color ink they would have used to write on red skin!


Birch Bark Cherry. Pic credit: S
I was happy to see all the musically named birds I have been seeing in my bird book finally.


A sulky looking, musically named Whiskered Yuhina.




The whole road belongs to us. Pic credit: S

With 36 lifers, this day would turn out to be the day with maximum number of lifers for me. Happy ending!

All pictures taken by me, unless picture credits are given to S.
Mandala road bird lists: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Previous blog in series: Part 6
Next blog in series: Part 8

No comments :

Post a Comment