Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Friday, September 16, 2011

Experiments with a bar of chocolate

The chocolate bar in question here is not a regular bar, but a 1Kg semi sweetened one, the kind used for chocolate fountains. My friend gave it to me, which was leftover from her son's birthday party. She also told me to make something for her kids with that before they relocate to UK. I was in the process of perfecting my Caramel Custard at that time and didn't end up making anything with that for a while. 2 days before they were leaving to UK I tried making Chocolate Fudge with that chocolate bar. I didn't find a proper recipe for the same and sort of tried a free hand recipe of my own. The outcome was a very tasty but gooey, difficult to handle chocolate paste. It got stuck to the aluminum foil and every time I ate it I had to pull pieces of it out from my mouth and also lick all my fingers. Then I remembered a recipe my sister used to make when we were kids. She got it from a friend of hers - Chocolate delight. So I mixed my gooey chocolate fudge with a little milk, layered it with Parle-G biscuits (in my sister's recipe it is arrowroot biscuits though) dipped in milk. This cut the sweetness a little and turned out handleable and delicious.
Late in the night just the day before they left to UK I managed to feed my friends' 12 year old daughter who was luckily still awake. The one who freaked out on it was another friend's toddler. Since she liked it so much, her mom made similar stuff using biscuits and Nutella, with very good results, though I am yet to taste the same.
Then I landed in Divya's blog and found a chocolate almond biscotti recipe.. I need to finish the kgs of almonds Shyam has brought from Kashmir (what was he thinking!!). So there we went, that is Aparna and I, blanching almonds, cutting chocolate, mixing flour. 

Aparna setting the mix in tray

The biscotti getting baked
 The gooey mix went inside the oven pretty fast. After the initial baking, I needed to cool it before I could cut and bake the sides. I was not patient enough to let the chocolate cool properly before cutting it into smaller pieces for baking the sides. So the biscottis don't look as good as the ones in Divya's blog, but tastes pretty good.
Chocolate Almond Biscotti
There is 700gms of chocolate still left. I will make the biscotti again to get it also to look as good as Divya's ones. Then I will go searching again for more chocolate recipes :)

2 comments :

  1. Mail some to me. But then I get pimples when I eat too much chocolates :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see a lot of effort going into that one article.... !!!
    Great stuff...keep writing!! Subhadra, I inadvertently deleted your comment on my blog - http://eatpraylovemovies.blogspot.com/2011/12/bollywood-at-its-boldest.html
    Great if you could re-post.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete