Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Saturday, December 19, 2009

The homework-sports week connection

Teaching in a school comes with its side effects also. While I am trying to improve the student achievement in class by what ever means, there are a few who are either apathetic to the efforts or just indifferent. When these are major stake holders in my effort, it is rather irritating.
Last week we had the sports week in our school. So the first half of the class we spent outside, students carried lemons which were rolling in spoons kept precariously in their mouths, falling all over the place with skipping ropes tangled around their feet and generally having fun. The students were having fun, I kept looking at my watch thinking when this is going to end so that, I can take them back to practicing writing stories looking random pictures and trying to make their imagination to run wild.
I have always had trouble in getting my students to do their homework. I have to keep inventing new new rewards for them to do it. Sometimes it is half of a Dairy Milk (only Rs.5) and sometimes taking home a jigsaw puzzle with Spider man sitting (or standing) on a wall with his various enemies beside him. The novelty runs out for each reward soon. Looking at the students having so much fun with sports, I decided to follow my fellow fellow who has kept staying out during the sports as a reward. So while giving out home work that day, I gave a dose of my warning also, I told my students to make sure that they finish their homework at home or otherwise they will have to sit inside the class and finish the home work while those who have finished are having fun outside.
Next day, more students than usual have finished all 3 home work. But still there is some left. So after assembly I packed them off to the classroom to finish the homework. I stayed with the students inside. Soon supervisor (our Hindi teacher) entered the class room to protest and protect my students right to be outside the class during sports week. She asked me whats the connection between homework and sports. I told her that it is up to us to make the connection. One by one my kids were finishing their home work and leaving the class. Supervisor went to Roshini ma'am (our main administrator and also Principal's daughter) and complained. Roshini ma'am called me and asked. I explained my stand and told her that there are 4 students left in class still to finish the home work and all the rest of them are on the ground. She sent me back telling it is ok.
Later towards the afternoon principal calls me and I go to her and sees that both supervisors are also there. Since Roshini ma'am verdict was not satisfactory, they have appealed to the High Court. High court verdict is in line with the supervisor's. Principal started shouting at me telling me that I have to follow rules of the school, I didn't bring the students from my home, they are first students of the school and then my students, the sports week is for students to be outside, I think that the students belong to me and that's not true, my fellow fellow also acts and thinks similarly, there is no connection between sports week and home work........ I did a series of "yes ma'am"s and "ok ma'am"s. In between when she said I cannot make any connection between homework and sports week, a "why ma'am" unknowingly came out of my mouth instead of the "yes ma'am" which was answered by a "because I say so" nonchalantly. I hate any one shouting at me (I wonder who doesn't), but this is one person I am gonna tolerate.
The damage was done for my kids. Now they were convinced that I am going to stick to my word and keep them in the class if they didn't do their homework. The facts that their Hindi miss talked to the principal and that principal has shouted at me and all are not known to my kids. So that day also I used the same reward for doing their home work. The next day the effect was seen with all but one finishing their homework at home.
Now that the sports week is over and dairy milks are not seen attractive any more, what will entice my students to do their homework?

5 comments :

  1. :D

    I think you need to gift the principal the book called "Freakonomics" or its latest version "Super Freakonomics".

    Probably the Principal may understand that there are lots of small stuff that are so trival but we fail to recognize it, just bcoz we stick to the rule book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, its also possible that due to higher inflation and economics issues that will will be affecting the common man and the media depecting it as a major threat, the principal may be getting a bit defensive and may be playing a people manager role, were one needs to perform decisions that goes with the masses and not with the better(non-masses contradictive) option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Subhi,

    Welcome On board ! Our supervisor '4th grade Class teacher ' made a heavy complain to my " co-operative " principle.

    I was "blasted " & " humiliated " for not allowing the students to let them roam around from 7.30 AM , when sports practice would actually start at 8.30 A.M ..

    Believe you me , had it been my JOB , I would have blasted back .I was Known for my " No Nonsense " approach . Even my managers were very careful while talking to me ;)

    A rickshaw strike happens - school closes immediately , A festival happens - kids are absent (though there are more than plenty of holidays), in case there is some doubt on a holiday school phones up so as to get the much awaited chutti.

    However , I realized , that is the challenge we are taking about . That is the struggle we have to go through .

    From a personal perspective , that is what we would " gain " from TFI-fellowship : perseverance, ability to remain calm , Being composed at all the time ... MAY be ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vinay, I don't think my principal would actually be reading any books at all. But it is still a good idea. I might as well get her to give a start. I am really thinking of gifting her a book.
    Also your observation about playing to the masses might be true.. thats what I also felt when she was talking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ritesh, Thats exactly how I looked at it too. I would never have ended up in a situation like that in the corp world, can't think of anyone shouting at me ever for anything, unthinkable... but here it is ok. Teaches me patience, smiling and listening when all I want do is to break all the things around me...

    ReplyDelete