Pure Randomness!

Pure Randomness!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Writing Samples

When I was studying in 9th standard, we got a few teachers who were studying B.Ed to teach us as a part of their training. I had a teacher, Susan Titus, who used to share the English writing assignments with me. I used to help her correct or tabulate the marks. So I brought the papers home and read them. I was appalled at the standard at which quite a few of my class mates wrote. I shared the writings with my siblings and we had fun reading those. At the age of 13 I was not bothered about the educational inequity or the low standards of my classmates, though somewhere it still bothered me. After so many years, when I looked at how my students write, that's what came to my mind first.
Here are a few selected samples of writing from my students which I wanted to share.

From my special kid. She was able to read 2 words when we started our struggle together 3 months back. Today she reads 99 words from the 300 sight words which I am teaching my students. Writing comes after reading and she is struggling with it.

MY CLass
MY CLass our is Very beautiful and MY chut MatHs Gol

Look at the perfect spelling of 'beautiful'. I have used the word as a password which they to pronounce and spell before they can enter the class sometime back and made sure all students learn that.

From the 13 year old in my class. After struggling for the last 3 months, we have succeeded in writing words with space in between them.

My seafe
My Name is [xxxx] I am in Std IV. B. My school Name is [xxxx] Meb school is ver samll I aM 13 year old My Fared is in Ramase I vele group i vere becea Ramase oabesur. My Mother is in Plosel. My salasey is ver in Docasese. My 5

Now this is what I have been able to decode from the undecodable.
The passage is about Myself (My seafe). My father is in Army and when I grow up I will become an Army officer. I do not know how Army can be Ramase. But I think I know how officer can be oabesur. The rest of the passage is completely Latin to me.

From the smallest little mouse in my class.
My kitten
My kitten is very nice. I play whit My kitten. My kitten name is Jerry. I like My kitten. My kitten colour is white. My kitten eat foods. My kitten favourite furit is apple. My kitten is very small. My kitten play whit Frinds. My kitten Frinds My is Name Ram.

After one round of correction and some tips, he came up with this piece of art.
My kitten
My kitten is very nice. I play with my kitten. My kitten's name is Jerry. I like my kitten. My kitten's colour is white. My kitten eats food. My kitten's favourite fruit is apple. My kitten is very small. My kitten plays with friends. My kitten's friend's name is Ram. My kitten jumps off the bed. My kitten's house colour is yellow. My kitten drinks milk. He loves me. He does my homework. He packs my bag. When I go to school, he gives me tiffin box. He gives me umbrella. He eats my food. He gives me pencil and eraser. He plays cricket.

2 comments :

  1. wow.. That's loot of improvements from the students.. The last one "My Kitten" is really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think its a good idea to disclose the kid's and school's name

    ReplyDelete